My Twitter Feed

Oct 7, 2010

Protein Shake Recipe: The Peanut Butter Power Protein Shake

One of my favorite things about homemade protein shakes is that you can customize them in pretty much any way you want. Chocolate/vanilla whey protein powder can serve as a base for thousands of different smoothie combinations, all with a nice shot of muscle-building protein and amino acids. Oh yeaaaaaaaah.


I recently came up with one of the most ridiculously phenomenal shakes I've ever made. It's freaking delicious and healthy as hell (what's better than delicious and healthy??). It's loaded with high quality protein, fiber and complex carbs, antioxidants, potassium, vitamin B6 + C, and heart-healthy mono/polyunsaturated fats. Bam, look at all that health! That's a pretty complete shake. If you love peanut butter and chocolate, you're definitely gonna go nuts for this shake. It tastes better than a liquified Reese's cup, only 1000x healthier. 


It takes all of...I don't know...two minutes to make and all you need are a few simple ingredients that you probably have lying around the house:
  • 1 scoop Chocolate Whey -- I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey or Cytosport 100% Whey, both have nice amino acid profiles and are low in fat. In my opinion they're the highest quality, best tasting wheys I've tried. Plus they're really good values. I got a 6lb bag of Cytosport whey at Costco for $23!! I haven't been able to find that price anywhere else though. Optimum usually runs about $38-$43 for a 5lb tub. Well worth the price.
  • 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter -- I use Naturally More PB. It's the best tasting peanut butter I've ever tried and it has really high omega-3 content from flaxseeds (4.1g!). It also packs 10g's of protein per serving, it's lower in calories than other PB brands (~170 cals per 2 tbsp. as opposed to ~200 cals per 2tbsp), and it has a nice dosage of fiber.
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup quaker oats
  • 2 ice cubes
Nutrition Facts
Calories: 510
Total Fat: 11g (healthy fat)
Omega-3: 4.1g
Omega-6: 1.2g 
Carbs: 38g
Fiber: 8g
Net Carbs: 30g
Protein: 48g

Enjoy!

Follow me on Twitter for daily fitness/nutrition tips, info, and advice @DiSantoFitlife

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Daily Deals on Fitness Stuff!